Buttering Daudo(Apricot soup)
Buttering Daudo meaning Apricot soup is a traditional Hunza soup made specially in winters and has been an effective remedy for cold for centuries in Hunza. The apricot used for this recipe is sun-dried organic Hunza apricot.
It is one of the several soup recipes of Hunza cuisine. Dried apricot is also used as snack in Hunza and in making Apricot juice which is very effective for constipation problem when consumed on empty stomach in the morning. The recipe for Buttering Daudo(Apricot soup) requires only three ingredients and you can skip the flour and make it with only 2 ingredients.
Dried Apricot 1 cup
Water 3 Cups
Flour 1/4 Cup
- Hunza apricots are sun-dried and usually have dust particles on them,therefore we thoroughly wash them for this recipe
- Add enough water to cook apricots, the quantity of water also depends on the consistency you want for your soups. add washed apricots to it.
- Cook for 10 minutes
- Transfer the cooked apricot to a bowl and add some water to it.
With washed hand apply some flour to your palm an rubs both hands together. you will get small dough particles add 1/4 cup of them to the apricot cooked water and cook for 5 minutes.(You can totally omit this step but the original Hunza apricot soup recipe has this step included.)
- when these are cooked with soup they remain intact and while eating you get bites of these dough pieces. If you don’t like these bites you can swallow the soup and spit them.
- Mash these cooked apricot. It is traditionally done with hands but you can you blender.We love to have chunks of apricots in our soup.
- Meanwhile you are breaking the cooked apricot the dough particle added earlier will cook. The next step is to a
add the blended/mashed cooked apricot.
- You can cook it for a minute and serve your soup. But I like my soup to be little running therefore I added more water.
- When you added water, cook for another few minutes.
- You can store this soup in fridge for a week . Every times you warm this soup, your kitchen will be fill with the aroma of apricot.
- Buttering Daudo(Apricot soup) tastes best when served right away ,steaming hot!
Hunza Style Quesadilla
Hunza style quesadilla is a traditional dish locally famous as Burus Sapik, where Burus refersRead More
Hunza Corn Bread
In Gilgit Baltistan and Chitral we have several bread recipes. we make some on specialRead More