Apricot Kernel Sauce Recipe
Apricot Kernel Sauce recipe also called Hani’e Chamik is a traditional sauce of Hunza made with the dried sweet apricot kernel flour, locally called Hani’e Butting. It is a common meal in winters usually served with the traditional flatbread. The word Hani refers to the Apricot seed and chamik refers to the semi liquid form of the dish, the sauce. The ingredients traditionally used for this recipe are
Ingredients for Apricot kernel sauce:
- Apricot kernels 1/4 cup
- Wheat flour 1 tbsp
- Salt per taste
- Water 1 cup
Direction of Apricot Kernel Sauce Recipe:
- In the first step, we mix the dried apricot seed flour and a tablespoon of wheat flour. The flour serves as a thickening agent in the sauce. In Hunza we always use wheat flour as thickening agent in sauces and soups.
- In a pan heat a cup of water and let it boil.
- Add apricot kernel powder and wheat flour mixture to the warm water and continuously stir it.
- Adjust the salt at this stage.
- The soup takes roughly around 2 minutes to cook. You can tell the soup is ready when the white foam disappears.
- The consistency of the soups should be thin because as the soups sits longer it becomes thick.
- Turn off the flame and serve with wheat flatbread.
Sweet apricot kernels versus bitter kernels:
There are two types of apricot seeds, we are using sweet apricot kernels. Do not use the bitter kernels for this recipe as they are not safe to use in large quantity.
Both sweet and bitter apricot kernels look alike so it is necessary to taste the kernels and use the right ingredient.
Make bite size pieces of flatbread and pour apricot sauce over it. we can serve it with without the bread and enjoy it like any other soup.
Hunza traditional soup recipe
Traditional Hunza soup is made with homemade noodles and is locally known as Chapchy dowdo. It is the most special soup made during winters in Hunza. Chap refers to the meat which includes mutton or beef but never chicken. Traditionally this soup is served in a wooden bowl with a wooden spoon.
Hunza Style Quesadilla recipe
Hunza-style quesadilla recipe is a traditional dish recipe locally famous as Burus Sapik, where Burus isRead More